Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last Fins?

When Steffi was getting ready to leave for college I suggested that she might want to take Jonah with her. As a companion. To keep her from getting homesick. And I thought it would be good for Jonah, too. See he is used to being on the breakfast bar and at least getting some attention each morning before school when the kids ate breakfast.
Jonah is Steffi's pet Fighting Fish given to her by some boy a few years ago. She will remind me of his name. Jonah is the successor to Cap'n Bubbles, our first Fighting Fish that was a gift from one of my work friends who won him at a "team build" and offered him to me. Cap'n Bubbles came with a small rectangular glass container that held about 4 ounces of water. That just wasn't good enough for such a pretty fish so I upgraded him to a Tiffany crystal ice bucket commemorating a Whole Foods stock offering or something that someone "found" (I didn't just take it) for me in a closet when we were in the old building.



Jonah has nice philodendron roots to swim and hide in. I keep them trimmed so he doesn't get tangled up. And he has nice clear bubbley stones at the bottom to make his home attractive. A few years ago we added mardi-gras beads for some color, and they drape nicely over the ice bucket handles. To keep him from getting lonely we have a porcelain Peter rabbit next to the bowl. I always try to get him to face Jonah's bowl so they can look at each other.

Last night Duncan came over and greeted Jonah with a little tap on the bowl. Jonah didn't move. When he finally did move, it was just a bit and it looked like he was on his "last fins." I had noticed the other day that he did not come to the top of the bowl when I dropped his food in and held my finger over the water to point him in the right direction. So he has not been himself for a few days. I am worried. Maybe he is just lonely. But maybe it is something else. I am glad that Steffi is coming home this weekend.

Today he came to the top of the bowl and ate two bits of food. Hopefully it is a good sign and maybe just seeing Duncan last night perked him up.

And, I sold another book ($70)!!

1 comment: