Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!


Yesterday was Thanksgiving and it was such a busy day I don't know where to start. Okay, I'll start with Thankgiving Eve - with both Stefanie and Duncan at home at the same time - a rare event these days! We invited Mike over for dinner (yummy curly pasta with a sausage pepper tomato sauce) and had a nice time just sitting around the table talking. Speaking of tables, I don't host Thanksgiving, my sister does, but I do put out a few decorations like these precious turkeys (above) made many years ago by my own children's hands, probably in elementary school. They probably made pilgrim hats and other things that have long gone lost, but these two turkeys remain and I try to protect them all year long until Thanksgiving.

On actual Thanksgiving Day we went over to my sister's before lunch this year because we had tickets to the UT-A&M football game later in the day so she graciously offered to have an early supper this year. Before we left I had to give the dogs something yummy for their Thanksgiving feast so here they are:


Topher's bone was darker and smaller so you really can't see it, but he did get one!

The guest list included the usual susects, my sister's neighbors, Sandy and Una. Sitting around Leslie's table yesterday we realized that we had been celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter with Sandy and Una for about 10 years now. They are just like family. The day proceeded as usual with a lively game of Michigan Poker where fortunes are won and lost and the bank offers a bailout to anyone as needed. I always sit near the bank (the jar of coins) and slip pennies to anyone running low, oh - like myself yesterday. We don't keep track, but it seems like Sandy always wins. Mike gave him a run for his money this year though! Beginner's luck.

The gaming starts to wind down when it is time to make the gravy and either my sister or me has to excuse ourself from the game to stir & season the gravy. This year Leslie made two turkey breasts instead of a whole turkey and the meat was moist and flavorful. I made the jellied cranberries, which I am still amazed that they gel each year. I buy a backup can because there was that one year they didn't and we had cranberry mush. I also contribute the sweet potato casserole, with marshmallows of course! We also had peas, mashed potatoes, stuffing and our traditional German family staple for celebrations - sauerkraut & sausage. Dessert was a gorgeous trifle (Scottish style) that Una made. It looked heavy but was wonderfully light and tasty with the sherry soaked sponge cake at the bottom. I wish I had taken a picture, it was so pretty.



We were done with dinner right on time and left for the game around 4:00. On my way home from work on Wednesday, I passed the Pots And Plants garden center and they had created this with their flamigos, representing the Longhorns v Aggies:

I expect if I drive by today the Aggie flamingos will be lying on their sides. I heard that the husband and wife owners are alumni of both of these schools so they have a family rivaly. The Aggies won the last two games but UT was expected to be triumphant this year - and they were 49-9. Steffi had her good camera and got pictures of the game. Here you can see them - they are GREAT pictures!. Anyway, we had a great time at the game. The Aggies put up a good fight and most UT fans stayed well into the 4th quarter, as we did.

Thankgiving 2.0 will be this evening at Mike's house. More turkey = more leftovers - count me in!

No comments: