Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bulk Pick Up Day

Today is the second semi annual bulk pick up day. Obviously I skimped on the first one back in April.

The sprinkler guy came around 8:30 this a.m. to make my system work again. While he worked his way around the yard repairing the sprinkler heads I started hauling stuff out of the garage to the curb. By 9:30 I had made some progress. Old carpet, old bike, extra insulation and a ton of wood.At some point mid-morning one of the bulk pick up trailers showed up and took everything that was metal. And since Duncan wasn't here yet, they carried the sleep sofa (which didn't deserve to be put on the pile upside down....) out to the pile. And I wasn't finished yet. Thankfully, Duncan was on his way over to help. The sprinkler guy snagged a few things he wanted like an old wheelbarrow and a scooter for his son.

I found more "treasures" in hobbitland, like the birthing box we used when Choco had puppies and my old skiis and, of course, more wood!

While in hobbitland, I found my very first Price Waterhouse audit bag, circa 1984. It had a huge capacity for "working papers" but was really ugly. I had to save it. For now.

I also opened a box of books and found this list of baby names that I remember listing when I was pregnant with Duncan. He approved of several of them, like Savannah and Samantha. He did not care for Ariel or Tiernay. Good thing he was a boy!! I also found another briefcase of mine that was completely empty except for this picture of Stefanie when she was about 3 or 4 months old. She was obviously a very happy baby on this picture day.

After Duncan arrived I made him his favorite breakfast - pancakes! I am known for making shapes on request. I make turtles and bunnies like my Mom taught me, plus I make dinosaurs, eiffel towers, taj mahals, almost anything. Today the request was for a truck. I made this one first and then made another, much better one, that Duncan ate before I could photograph it.

Then I made a star and moons for myself and a snake for later.

After breakfast was over around 12:30 we went back out to the garage for more work.

Now it is almost 5 and all that stuff is still at the end of the driveway. Duncan said that we had the largest pile by the curb. They are probably going to embarass me by not coming back tonight. I bet it will fill up their whole trailer when they come back.

Oh, I should explain that Hobbitland is the large 500 sq ft air temperature controlled storage area underneath my house. Access is through the garage. We call it Hobbitland because you have to be a very small person, like a hobbit, in order to stand up inside since it is about only 5 1/2 feet from floor to ceiling. We constantly bump our heads on the ceiling and light fixtures so I try to remember to stay in a hunched-over position while down there and I still bump my head when I forget. It is a wonderful storage area and would have made a great playroom for the kids when they were little, but we had a large indoor playroom so we just used it as storage.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Hah! I can see Duncan as an Ariel...

Actually, I think that the underneath is about 5 foot 8 inches tall. Because, a mere 5 foot 7 1/2 inches, can just barely stand upright in there.

You're finally throwing that couch out? I approve.