Friday, January 30, 2009

One mission accomplished

Check out this sunset!



We put seed out for the birds after the snow. We actually saw a real blue bird - the "of happiness" kind in a tree outside my bedroom. He never came to get any seed though. There are lots of blue jays and cardinals and there is one woodpecker. The jays are the bravest and biggest bullies to the other birds. The cardinals seem to be able to sense that I am there with a camera and only come to the bench when I am not waiting for a picture. The woodpecker will land, grab a seed, and take it somewhere else to eat it. He reminded me of my 3 dogs and their food - Boo has taught the others to fill their mouths with food, carry it to the foyer and drop it on the rug to eat! It is endearing. Really. (not!)


Last evening there was a herd of 8 deer out in the field. I had been seeing tracks in the snow on my way to the mailbox so we knew they were around. Mom says she hasn't seen the herd in their yard in a long while.








One of the things I wanted to do while visiting my Mom this week was to fill her freezer with easy-to-reheat meals for days when she needs a break. My Mom has always been a wonderful cook and what I make is nothing in comparison to what she is capable of preparing herself. But we all know some days we just don't feel like cooking and it is nice to reach into the freezer and heat it up. So here's what I stirred up for her:


Sausage and 3 pepper tomato sauce. We purchased some fusilli pasta to go with it.


Turkey chili



ham and navy bean soup


2 brocolli ham quiches



a lasagna with beef and spinach



and a simple zuchhini squash casserole which was not photo-worthy. It is Mom's recipe that she gave me eons ago and I make it all the time.


Last night I made chicken parm only I used swiss, so I guess it was "chicken swiss." lol

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

You make my freezer full of frozen food sad. :( Nothing homemade in there!