Friday, September 5, 2008

Join me in the 21st century

Remember back in early July, I went shopping for some new appliances? This was because pretty much everything in my kitchen was original with the house built in 1987. If you click on that link it should take you to photos of the old stuff if you need to be reminded of what they looked like. Consumer Reports advised me to wait until Labor Day for big sales. So I did.

Somedays I even waited patiently.

It was worth the wait. Now, I have all new modern 21st century kitchen applicances!! Let me show you around.

Let's start with Ralph my new refrigerator.




Ralph came wrapped in masses of blue plasticwrap and tape. Removing it was almost as fun as popping bubble wrap. About a minutes of this was fun. But I could have talked a kid into thinking it was fun. Where were my teenagers when I needed them?The empty fridge side...




The empty freezer side....




I am tempted to keep all of my food in the garage fridge & freezer just to keep Ralph neat and clean.


Ralph has a computer called "The Beverage Center." I have no idea what the motion lines next to the bottles mean.
It is a touch screen and I haven't had time to play with it yet. But I found the most important screen...




Here is my compactor. Be impressed - I "installed" it myself! Probably saving at least $50. But not too impressed, the "install" process was simply plugging it in and shoving it into the space. It works! And does not have kick-dents in the front. Yet.

Here is the new combo microwave/oven. So shiney!!


Finally, this is the new cooktop. See how the burners glow! It has a grill, too. My old one had a griddle and it will fit where the grill is so I can make pancakes in the morning and burgers in the evening.




There is one teensy little issue still be be resolved. My old Jenn-aire was 47" wide. The new Jenn-aire cooktop is about 1 inch smaller than the old one so there is a 1/2 in gap on either side. I challenge anyone to find a 47" cooktop on the market today! Almost everything else is 36". Jennaire now only makes a 46" version - why did they change the dimensions by an inch?! The installer suggested some sort of tiling around the edge so I am going to look into that. Darn - why didn't I replace the cooktop when we had the counters installed??

Now I am in the mood to bake!

No comments: