Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Lost Blogs - Knitting a Sock

If you recall from a previous (and timely) blog, Steffi is teaching me how to knit. I started off with a washcloth. Simple, square, one easy stitch called the garter or garden or gar-something-or-other stitch. From the washcloth I made an incredible leap to starting a sock. It is really tricky working with multiple needles. I drop stitches, add stitches, knit upside down, purl from the back and all kinds of knitting violations. Steffi is a great coach and continues to remind me that there are no knitting police.

While the sock traveled with me to the beach there was no progress until the plane ride home. In first class, no less! Here is the sock in context of a glass of airline wine and a beer early in our flight home.



When we were getting close to Dallas and they wouldn't serve any more wine (I had to quickly take this photo before the flight attendant took my glass away) here is how much progress I had made!

After I had about 7-8 inches of sock-leg it was time to work on the heel:

At this point called "turning the heal" Steffi made me say "Oh, the cleverness of me!"
And now look! It just needs a toe and I will have a sock!!





Oh the cleverness of me!!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Oh the cleverness of you! It looks like you CAN start working the toe soon... We should arrange an evening or something. :)