Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A real deal

On Monday after the Redskins-Giants Losers Lunch, I walked over to Waterloo Records to buy the annual KGSR Broadcast CD and a few Christmas gift CDs. While I was in the store I looked for music by Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues. He was a blues singer guitar player who lived an interesting life and died young, at age 27 (1911-1938) supposedly after being poisoned. His music and style have been influential to so many modern blues & rock musicians including Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and others. He is ranked 5th on Rolling Stones Greatest Guitar Players of All Time (after Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, BB King, and Eric Clapton). I read about him in an airline magazine and put his music on my "to look for" list. The story in the airline magazine was about a rare photo of a young Robert Johnson the author had found on eBay. The photo had been misidentified as another blues singer but the author recognized Robert Johnson's long fingers and compared it to other known photos of him to confirm his suspicion. I hit the jackpot yesterday at Waterloo and picked up a Blues Biography compilation of 24 songs for $4.99! The cashier couldn't believe the price either! Anyway, it's great and I've been listening to it ever since.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

You should start doing a weekly music review or something!