Thursday, December 4, 2008

a tale of two hotels

I'm in Boston this week. Cambridge actually, where one of our regional offices is located. I booked a room at a hotel close to the office that had the irresistable benefit of a Starbucks in it. Anyone who travels with me knows that I am a Starbucks addict and have a sixth sense of where they are located and the exact route to take to the office that happens to pass a Starbucks on the way. Unlike other cities I visit, Cambridge does not have a Starbux on every corner (there are Dunkin Donuts everywhere though!) so having this one located in a hotel so close to the office seems perfect. The only other one I know of is pretty far out of the way and not near any hotel and the traffic is so heavy you really don't want to go that way.

Before making this trip I was looking forward to a daily coffee treat. But then I got to the hotel.

It was under construction.

It's always been a little on the shabby side, this hotel but IT HAD A STARBUCKS so I could overlook the wear. This week there were exposed cable bundles along both sides of the ceiling in the hallway. And holes in the ceiling and wallpanels leaning up against the walls at the end of the hall. Not a good sign. The room was okay, but the amenities seemed a bit lacking since my last visit. They only provided one small round soap that I had to move between the sink and the shower as I needed to use it. And they "forgot" to refill the coffee packets so on the second morning so I had to have decaf. The straw that broke the camel's back and totally exceded the value of the Starbucks happened this morning when I woke up and there was no hot water.

None. Zip. Just cold water that got colder the longer it ran.

I called the desk and they said that "yes, they were having some hot water problems in some of the rooms." I was instructed to run the water for 10 minutes and it might get warm. Well, uh oh I had left the actual showering part of my routine until the last possible moment this a.m. so I couldn't wait more than another 5 mintues or I would be late. So I did the unimaginable and got in a cold shower. Didn't wash my hair though. Ugh. Awful. Mad, I am. I did get $50 off the bill which is no where near enough for the pain and suffering of a cold shower. That is the last time I'll stay at that hotel! In spite of the convenience of the Starbucks.

So, fast forward to this evening. I moved to a less expensive hotel closer to the airport in preparation for my 8 a.m flight in the morning. I was a bit fearful that it would be worse - I mean it is closer to Boston and costs less than the really bad hotel - I was expecting a real dump. Anyway, here is what I was greated to upon entering the lobby:

and


and

And check out my room! Here is the first thing I saw in the dark. It is a chair with an outlet for a computer cable and power cord in the arm and two little built in tables.




Here is a close up


Then the bed caught my eye. Kingsize, lots of pillows.


The pillow says:


I think I will be well here.



Then on to check out the bathroom and these clever products!




and a SEPARATE bar of soap for the shower!



Finally, the coffee maker complete with Wolfgang Puck coffee.



I think I might oversleep just so I can enjoy this room a little while.











1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Hey! We must have the same luck, because Abby and I had no hot water the night before last or yesterday. (They had it on by last night though.) Cool chair. Bet it was comfy!