Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rent

We have had several experiences with Rent this week. Mike and I saw the musical on Thursday - a really fun and enjoyable 3 hours! Saturday we became guarantors on a rent agreement for Steffi - a not as fun 3 hour process..... but it was really exciting to see these kids go through the searching and signing for the first of likely many times in their young lives. So many words, so many pieces of paper to initial and sign.
On Thursday Abby and Nathan came up from San Antonio and they did the UT on campus housing tour. It is unlikely they would have been assigned good housing on campus because they are getting such a late start compared to other students. All three, you see, are transferring from UTSA after their freshman year there and don't have any housing options until June. Most everything will have already been assigned. So they started looking for apartments on Friday, narrowed it down to 2 to show us and on Saturday we signed a lease at the Venue. If you can believe it, it will not be that much more expensive than what we paid for housing at UTSA last year. We'll have to factor in utilities, and they've have to provide their own furniture. Click on Venue for the propaganda photos which are pretty close to reality.
This is NOT the student housing I experienced! I thought Stef would be bound for disappointment since her freshman year apartment was so nice compared to the dorms and apartments I knew as a college student. THINGS HAVE CHANGED a lot since my time. I want to go back to school! I want a workout facility in my building like this:

I want a walkin closet!


I want windows over looking the Drag!



I want a bathroom like this that I do not have to share with anyone!


I want granite counter tops, a side-by-side fridge, microwave, and pantry!


Here Steffi is petting the countertops. I think that is a second sink in the kitchen.

Move in will be August 12th. School starts about 10 days later. This place is on the north side of campus and they'll be able to walk or jump on a shuttle bus. Guadalupe is the main street through campus, hence it's nickname "The Drag." This place oozes convenience and security. They will have two parking spots in a gated lot under the building. Lots of security pass cards (with hefty fees if lost!). This should be a great first year at UT-Austin experience for these three kids. How will they possible out-do this as Juniors??!! It is too scary for me to think about right now.
On an amusing note, there was this box on the table in the lobby area where Mike and I had to sit while waiting for the paperwork. We didn't immediately know what these were. Showing our age and inexperience... Turns out there is a free tanning bed on premise and you are encouraged to wear protective eyewear. If you don't have your own, you can use these self-adhesive gold ones.

Ouch - don't you think that would hurt?!







No comments: