Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Texas!

Here begins the educational portion of my blog: today is a national holiday in
Texas. Yes, it is Texas Independence Day! We still think of ourselves here as a nation, separate from the other 49 states. I am sure there will be parades all over the state today. State employees have the day off so traffic wasn't so bad once you got past the construction....construction workers do not have the day off, nor do students or folks who work for grocery stores.

On the eve of Texas Independence day Mike and I went to see the Asylum Street Spankers at Threadgills. It was a 5:00 show outside. Now at 5:00 it was pretty nice, around 63 degrees. By the time the show was over at 7:30, it was about 49 degrees. Pretty brrrrrr for those of us who did not have a winter here.

It was too cold to take many photos, but here is Charlie "playing" the jug. It was a great show. The band did most of their popular tunes, like "My girlfriend in the CIA" and "Leafblower." They ended predictably with Mike's favorite: "The beer song." The chorus goes something like this: Beer, beer, beer, beer, we love beer! I couldn't get to bunwarmers in Mike's car fast enough! I put a pot of soup on the stove when I got home and finally warmed up. I know, I'm wimpy about cold.


No comments: