Sunday, March 8, 2009

Many projects today!

Whew! Today was a busy day. Steffi painted 8 doors upstairs. We removed all of the broken screens from the windows on the front of the house. Over the years they had torn and birds had scavenged bits of screen material for their nests so they were very tatty. I had an estimate to have them replaced but it seemed too much since I never ever open the windows so they will just have no screens. Too many creepy crawly creatures know how to go through or around the screens! Back to the projects. Duncan came over and helped carry some old futons from his room down to Hobbit land. He and Steffi also carried the "dog sofa" from my room down there and I replaced it with 2 new dog beds. The girls will maybe be mad at me for taking away their old bed that they've been sharing for 10 years. The first weekend in April is bulk pick up weekend and all of this stuff will go out to the curb. Remember the pile from last fall that took them 3 trips to remove just my stuff?

The final project (so far) today has been to build a little garden area along the front of the house and plant some shrubs. Mike helped scope the project and pick out the right amount of dirts, humus and mulch and select the border from a million choices. Duncan and Mike provided all the back power of lifting 35 40lb bags of that stuff. I owe them! But look at the final project!! The elapsed time from the first photo to the last was about 45 minutes! I am very pleased. I do have to get the sprinkler guy out to put extensions on the two sprinkler heads we buried. :)

So here is the before shot

With just the border

Apply 800 lbs of dirt and 320 lbs of humus

Plant the plants and then apply 120 lbs of mulch. Voila.... a new garden!

No comments: