Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Knit Nite & other news

Steffi has been bugging me for a long time to go with her to knit night at the Knitting Nest in south Austin. It is only on Monday's and since yesterday was a Monday and Mike left town on a bizness trip, I had no good excuse not to go this week. It ended up being fun and I will definitely go again. Knitting came back to me quickly, I even remembered how to cast-on after Steffi showed me how. I used to knit back in jr & sr high. Only straight things though, like scarves. No one knitted back then so it was easy to give up and not missed. Today, EVERYONE knits! I think I would like to knit a sock.

I am starting small with a washcloth. Steffi swears that a knitted washcloth is the bestest and people will want them - like as a gift! I have never given anyone a washcloth as a gift. Take that back - once I gave my Mom some washclothes that were soft and delicate like her face and she loves them (I think). So, Mom, perhaps you would like a knitted washcloth?!

Here is Steffi in front of a knitting contraption that takes a skein of yarn and turns it into a ball.

See the ball forming?

This was my first attempt at a washcloth, only it was turning out to be more the size of a hand towel so I FROGGED it and started over. (See I know the lingo)

I took it home and knitted some more last night. Here is what it looks like this morning

In other news, yesterday was orientation at UT for Stef and her roommates Abby and Nathan. A&N drove up from the San Antonio-ish area on Sunday and spent the night at my house. We had a cookout on Sunday evening with burgers, brats, and boca-burgers (veggie), salad, corn and watermelon for dessert. It was h.o.t. but the kids all wore jeans, confirming their continued need to stay in school so they can become smart and wear shorts when it is still 100 degrees at 9:30 p.m.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Great washcloth!! Next week I'll teach you how to purl :D