Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Like a penny from heaven


Today I experienced one of those "pennies from heaven" stories. I had loaned a book to a friend and when she returned it she mentioned finding a handwritten poem in the back of the book. When I opened it, I recognized immediately who had written it down. It says:
You always clean the paw prints
I leave upon the windows
I seem to make a mess of things
Because I am so percious (sic)
The years will pass so quickly
I'll soon be wiser
And all my little paw prints will
surely fade from view
So here's a special paw print
and picture of me too
So you'll recall the very day
I made this just for you.
And there is a pencil drawing of a tiger cat and tracing of his paw.
When Duncan was about a year old and Steffi 2 1/2, we found Becky and hired her to be their nanny. Soon after she moved in with us she found a tiger cat and named him Hobbes. We had a lab at the time who didn't quite know how to react to a cat. One of my fondest memories was finding Bentley asleep with Hobbes snuggled up next to her. I wish I had my camera at the time.
Becky lived with us initially in Indianapolis and moved with us to Austin for a few years. This was a big move for her as she had lived in a small town in northern Indiana her whole life. She was so crafty and artistic, I still have a number of her watercolors and ceramics around the house. And boy could she sew! She used to make the kids matching outfits - including hand made hats - and also matching outfits for Steffi's doll.
One more thing I forgot to include the first time I wrote this: We had painted something outside and Hobbes must have walked through it, leaving a paw print on the front doorstep. For years that always reminded us of that little tiger cat. It would still be there if we hadn't tiled over the steps a few years ago. I guess it is still there, under the tiles.
We sort of lost touch a few years ago. I have tried to call her last known number and email her at her last known email address, but so far have not been successful. I think I will keep trying.
When I saw that poem I knew she was thinking of us, too.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Awwww! That's lovely, Mama.