Thursday, September 18, 2008

Softball night, it must be Wednesday

I was planning on going to softball, really. I packed up my shorts & sox and put them in my new London Whole Foods bag that Steffi brought back from her visit to the Kensington store.
When I got in my car the Volkswagen information center warning that usually says "Please fasten seat belt" instead came on and said "TIRE PRESSURE TOO LOW!" and it started binging periodically. I had been suspecting my tires were low. Usually I get a "Tire Pressure Low" message before the TOO LOW! message. Anyway, off I went to the Texaco with my tire pressure thingy to fill my tires. It seems that every car I own, I am plagued with low tire pressure. Usually until I switch to Michelins. Not that I know much about tires, I am only experienced with putting air in them for 20,000 miles and then buying new ones. The Michelin man never lets me down, but Mr Goodyear always has low pressure. 8000 more miles with Lila and I will start to think about new tires.



So enough about the tires, except that with the Tire Pressure TOO low" message flashing at me, I forgot to put my softball bag, with my shoes & glove, in the car. I emailed Todd that I wouldn't be able to play, putting him in a tough spot to find another woman for the early game. Later games you can usually beg someone who played in an early game to bail you out, but when you are short in the early game at 6:30 you can be out of luck. When Mike found out he initially suggested that I just wear my golf shoes, which I admitted were in the trunk of my car (best to be prepared, you never know when someone will suggest an impromtu game of golf!!). They are really cute white and light blue summer golf shoes that I would NEVER wear on that yucky red dirt softball field, so that answer was NO! Then he suggested that I wear the extra pair of shoe he has in his car. Plus he said he had 3 extra gloves. Although his feet are bigger than mine, I knew his shoes would fit well enough. And a glove is a glove to me, I am not picky. "My" glove is actually Steffi's softball glove from when she was like 10. LOL. Finally, I was out of excuses so I caved, bought some Tecate in the store and drove out to the fields. On the way, Mike called to admit HE had forgotten his softball bag and was also completely unprepared. Only he had no excuse. Just forgot.



So here are photos from the game. This is when we are just kind of figuring out who will be up and when. I was an EB "Extra Batter" and just batted since I had no glove. Mike borrowed a glove from the other team. Todd (the guy in red with the darker hair) has a little scrap of paper and a borrowed pen to do the line up. Todd and Joe always seem to dress alike (hmmmm). That is Mike in the men's softball Organics shirt from a few years ago.

Here's Trina, with her reliable swing, however she has dropped her shoulder on this one and will hear about it from Mike when she returns to the dugout.




Rounding third!Mike sneaking up on 2nd.

And rounding 3rd.

The Supernaturals take the field. That's one of our pitchers, Julie. Trina on first.

Mike on 3rd. You can see the ball coming to him to make sure that runner stays on 2nd.

We won! Even as adults we do the "good game!" routine of slapping hands with all the other players.

On another note, for those of you who read Steffi's blog, I had to admit everything she wrote about my different spider, scorpion and Duncan screams is pretty much true. This morning when I went out to get the paper and it was still darkish, I realized I have a "oh! what is that big dark thing moving in the driveway?!" noise when I crossed paths with a frog. It was not a scream - wouldn't want to rouse any of the neighbors! But this, and the time we watched the tarantula walk all the way across my driveway and over to the neighbors yard, is why I never go outside barefoot in the dark any more.

No comments: