Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Eggmen

Saturday was a busy day. I decided to venture upstairs into the kids world and see what was what now that they are away. It used to be an annual event for me to do a major clean-throw away-fill bags for the thrift shop - when the kids went to camp each summer. Sometimes I would totally re-do their rooms with fresh paint and new bedding. I enjoyed that time each year and they seemed to not mind me going through all of their things. I am not sure they even noticed in years I didn't paint. :) Yesterday I spent most of my time on one side of the playroom rearranging the furniture and daring to look under the sofa (yuck!!). I dragged the vaccuum up there and today I am going to steam clean the carpet. I picked up a million little green b-b's (Duncan!!). Another time, I will tackle the other side of the room where there are still a million stuffed animals and toys from younger days. That side will yield a trip to the thrift shop instead of the trash can.

Then a good thing happened!! Steffi's US passport arrived!! Yippeee. I drove it right away over to her dad's so he can take it to her this week. Saturday was the last possible day it could have arrived so he could hand deliver it because he leaves today. So now I know they will let her back in when she returns. Leaving, the agents asked about a green card or permanent resident card (which of course Steffi' doesn't have because she is an American). Now she will be able to return without question. Of course they may question how she got out of the country without having her passport stamped, but she can show them her other one.




Last night Mike and I went to a new place to listen to music. A place in South Austin called Jovita's where a band we had wanted to see for a long time was playing. The band is called The Eggmen (look Stef - I figured out how to link!) and they are a Beatles "cover" band which means they only play Beatles songs. They were rated the #1 cover band in Austin by readers of the Chronicle for 5 years in a row. In the photo above they are playing Yellow Submarine with funny hats on. Almost more interesting than the band were the people we saw at the show. There was tie-dye-guy with an outfit that should not have been allowed out in public - little lycra shorts that were thankfully mostly covered up by a long peace sign tie dyed tank top and a tie-dyed bandanna. He and his wife were quite the dancers on the dance floor. There was also creepy-cannot-sit-still guy who must have ADD or something; he was by himself and could not sit through a whole song without standing up and walking around. There were clearly a lot of groupies for this band and I know we will see them again if we go to another Eggmen show.

On a sad note, this morning when I went out to get the paper I noticed my new friend Froggy was not in the water dish or his usual hiding place. ...I found him in the driveway. I think KL got dropped off last night and Froggy happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
:(

No comments: