Friday, July 11, 2008

An uneventful day back at the ranch

Well, not completely uneventful, but there were no fireworks, live music, thunderstorms or lunches with sons to report on. What I will share is that I am more than seriously considering replacing my antique appliances in the kitchen. Here we have the combo microwave/wall oven circa 1987:

It still works, but remember there was at least a year where we stopped using the microwave because it stopped working and then Uncle Mark (not knowing it was "broken") put a cup of coffee in there and it came out hot?!

Then there is the 47" Jennair cooktop with the one burner that works as it should and another burner that has one temperature - hot hot hot - and the other two that don't really work at all. How have I managed Christmas and Easter dinners with this kitchen!? The challenge with replacing this particular appliance is that it is larger than any other cooktop currently made by Jennair, but just by 1/2 inch. And I have granite countertops which I really don't want to replace. That stripey wood block covers up a warming tray (which I have never ever used) that they no longer build into their cooktops so the new models have larger burner areas but no warmer. I will have to talk to the granite people about creating a filler piece. Or, I don't know, maybe I can just duct tape the gap when they put the new cooktop in.


I can't call this one an appliance - it is the temporary utilitarian replacement for the appliance formerly known as "the trash compactor." The previous trash compactor is sitting on my front steps. I know, you didn't notice it because of the frog, but that is where it is until I get a new one and they haul it away. I couldn't leave it in the house because it has stinky trash in it and the door is stuck closed and it would have smelled! So now it is just an unattractive decoration outside.

No comments: