Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hook Em!!


The Longhorns opened today against Florida Atlantic. FA seemed to be a pretty good team and while I was listening on the radio during the game the announcers said they were likely to win their Sunbelt conference. Our conference is the Big 12 with other BIG state schools like Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Poor little Florida Atlantic didn't stand a chance. The score was 52-10. Kudos to their quarterback ,team and about 50 fans for hanging tough throughout the whole game.
Vince Young's jersey was retired just before the game started. He played for the Horns from 2003-05 and was a huge factor in the Longhorns winning the National Championship in 2005.

Here are some highlights of the day to me. Below is a gaggle of fans heading toward the south entrance of the stadium. Everywhere you look on game day it is a sea of burnt orange. UT fans wear their color with pride.
This is the new North End of the stadium. This is brand new and enabled an attendance record 98,053 yesterday.

The band does all these wonderful formations on the field. UT

T for Texas (you can see the ~50 fans from Florida in the dark colored shirts on the lower right of these seats) There is the most enormous Texas flag and here it is rolled out one way. Notice it stretches from the end of the endzone almost up to the twenty yard line, and almost the width of the field. This is a Texas Sized Flag.

then they roll it over


so it goes the other way.

Everyone sings The Eyes of Texas and flashes hookem signs

So then it is time for the players to come out to the field. They run this video of animated longhorns on the godzillatron screen.


Statues of past football super stars send lightning bolts of energy to transform the longhorns into football players

and then fireworks go off and the team emerges through the smokey steam. Mike thinks the video part of this is lame but I think it is really fun every time.


Oh, before I forget - you know that this is Labor Day weekend and my plan was to make my appliance purchases this weekend? Well I did!! Home Depot came through for me by approving my credit card application for the purchase of a cooktop, combo microwave/oven and compactor. I also splurged and added on a new refrigerator, which I have named "Ralph." Mike thinks I am crazy- I mean he loves it - that I name my cars, houses and appliances. I could only snap this one photo of the ice/water dispenser (notice the touch screen!) before my camera battery died so you will have to wait until they are delivered (possibly on Thursday this week!) to see the rest of Ralph and his new kitchen helpers.


Through my crystal ball I see more shopping this weekend. Know why??? Steffi came home yesterday since she has a 3 day weekend too. Yay!!






No comments: