Thursday, August 28, 2008

Unplugged at the 'Grove

It's Thursday. You know what that means?! - it is Unplugged at the Grove night. Which, translated for anyone who hasn't lived in Austin in the past 15 years, means there is live music for free at the Shady Grove restaurant. Tonight Radney Foster is performing. I mentioned this to my sister and she didn't recognize the name. Embarassed that I couldn't actually name any of his songs either although I knew I heard him on KGSR, I went out to his website and clicked on the jukebox and listened. He has a tremendous voice, but Radney - what kind of name is that? - do you think his parents meant "Rodney" or "Randy" and mispelled it on his birth certificate and then he was stuck with it?! Anyway, this turned out to be ONE OF THE BEST experiences we have had at the Unplugged series in a while.

First of all, we got there early enough to get seats (yes, seats! not the most comfortable seats in the world and they were all linked together with plastic ties, but they worked just fine) in about the 6th row from the stage. We even had a choice of seats and chose the ones closest to what seemed to be the funnest people. We chose well.

The group of ladies in front of us tipped me off to Radney's charity organization - the Milk Money Project which raises money by selling these cool bracelets to benefit women and children in Mexico. Each bracelet is made from his used guitar strings. I chose one with UT colored beads in prep for the football game tomorrow. Pretty cool!


The people behind us were a hoot! I returned from buying the bracelet and retrieving the bug spray (the SG folks have not caught on to offering free bug spray yet) and Mike said - "Stand here and have your picture taken with these guys!"

"Should I know who they are?!" I asked? But before I knew it he snapped this pic.


Turns out the guy on my left is the JOEL MELTON. He is a musician, formerly from Oklahoma City, but had the good sense to move to Austin 6 years ago. He is doing a show on Sept 19th at Ruta Maya and we now have to go (we were going to go anyway) becuase he gave us a signed copy of his very own CD that says "Now you have to come."

The guy on the other side is just as interesting. His name is Thomas and he is a writer/documentarian (did I just make up a word?) It sounds like he has collaborated with Joel on a number of projects. There is something going on in Wimberly at the Cypress Creek Cafe Friday evening that he and his wife suggested we go to, but I can't remember what it is and the website doesn't show anything tonight.

Here is Joel's CD


I am sure we will enjoy the CD and the show in a few weeks. Thanks Joel! WE WILL BRING ALL OF OUR FRIENDS TOO!

So before Radney played, we were entertained by Matt the Electrician. We have seen him a number of times at the Saxon Pub and maybe other places. He is great - really funny and engaging with the audience.


Neither of us had seen Radney before but we know his music from KGSR and the Outlaw channel on Sirius. He was better than either of us expected and we will watch for his shows around town from now on.

Joel wants Radney's back up singer, the lovely Georgia Middleton(?) of San Antonio TX, to be his next wife. That would be #4. Sounds like he has learned a lot of lessons of who not to marry from the previous 3, so I am sure if she is the one, it will work out just fine. She is gorgeous and don't they look good together?!

At the end of Radney's show he brought up a good friend of his - I think her name is Rosie and she took over the bass guitar.

All in all a GREAT time and 2 great shows.

Mike "gave" me a song today by Radney. "I'm In" which I cannot seem to be able to paste with formatting into this blog so all the lines run together. I knew it from before, but Radney played it last night too. It is a very, very sweet song.

Love doesn't come with a contractYou give me this I gave you thatIt's scary businessYour heart and soul is on the lineBaby why else would I be standing round here so tougue tiedIf I knew what I was doingI'd be doing it right nowI would be the best damn poetSilver words out of my mouthWell my words might not be magicBut they cut straight to the truth So if you need a lover and a friendBaby I'm in I'm in baby I'm in I'm inBaby come on in the water's fineI'll be right hereYou take your timeJust let me hold youAnd we'll both take that leep of faitIt's like I told you there's no guarantee when you feel this wayIf I knew what I was doingI'd be doing it right nowI would be the best damn poetSilver words out of my mouthWell my words might not be magicBut they cut straight to the truth So if you need a lover and a friendBaby I'm in I'm in Baby come here next to meI'll show you how good it can beI'll breathe each breath you breatheI can pour out everything I am If I knew what I was doingI'd be doing it right nowI would be the best damn poetSilver words out of my mouthWell my words might not be magicBut they cut straight to the truth Now if you need a lover and a friendNow if you need a lover and a friendBaby I'm in I'm in baby I'm in I'm inI'm in I'm inBaby come here next to meI'll show you how good it can beI'll breathe each breath you breatheI can pour out everything I am Baby come here next to meI'll show you how good it can beI'll breathe each breath you breatheI can pour out everything I am Baby come here next to meBaby come here baby come here

From Radney Foster "See What You Want To See"Arista Records 1998PolyGram Intl Publishing/St Julien Music(ASCAP)On My Mind Music(ASCAP)

PS - I sold ANOTHER book (+$75)

PSS - Jonah was really very swimmy this morning so maybe his is OK after all!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Jonah is only a few years old. Like...3 or so. He was a young(ish) fishy when I got him.

Sounds like you are having too much of a good time without me. I'll have to come home and spoil your weekend. :D