Sunday, August 10, 2008

TGIF

I should have known it was going to be an interesting day when this is what greeted me on my way to work in the a.m. at the corner outside Whole Foods. I was a few cars back in the turn lane so the picture isn't as close as I had hoped, but those people are dressed up as Gnomes and we were supposed to Honk if we like gnomes. Who doesn't like a gnome?! so I honked.

It was never revealed what the whole Gnome thing was about. But, whatever.



We had planned to meet Patricia, John and Missy at Threadgills this evening to see the Asylum Street Spankers. Isn't that a great name?! The lead singer is Wammo. We saw him perform a guest spot at the Poi Dog concert a few weeks ago. Fabulous voice and talent, just not as cute as Bob otherwise I might become a groupie. The female lead is Christina. She has an unusual singing voice and is very pregnant and really suffered with the Texas heat this evening (it must have still been 90 degrees at 11:00). They sang some great tunes, like Leaf Blower and My Baby in the CIA. The guy on the far left with the red beret can do a fabulous alien voice.

The band got its name from where they played - at clubs on Guadalupe street, which is was known as Asylum Street because it led to the state, um, hospital. A Spanker is someone who can play their instrument vigorously and proficiently.

Here is Mike with Patricia.

And John with Missy And a few more pictures of the Spankers


In the category of weird sightings, a house has appeared at the bottom of the off ramp from 360 to Bee Caves road. It appears to be a very wide house on its way somewhere because it is on a flatbed. I can't imagine where they are taking it from here - but I do not want to be behind it!!

No comments: